Welcome dear friends and family

Hoping this brings us a bit closer.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pandy

Right after we received Elle's referral but before we traveled to China, we sent a care package to her and her caregivers. The package contained a note, translated into Chinese, thanking the nannies for their care of our Li Qing, some candy for the nannies, a disposable camera for extra pictures and a stuffed panda bear for Elle.
When we met Elle for the first time, the nannies returned the camera to us, filled with pictures, and the panda bear. We brought that panda bear home too and he's referred to as Pandy. Elle hasn't shown great interest in stuffed animals or dolls until recently. I've never been a big fan of the stuffed animals and oddly to me, didn't have much attachment to Pandy. But that all changed a couple of weeks back. It was a morning that Elle was finally feeling better from her two week cold, but I was not. She came into the kitchen holding and hugging Pandy and I got so choked up! It just hit me - that stuffed bear had touched her before I had! I love Pandy! And so now, I'm going to stitch up his holes, one under his arm and the other on his side.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

What a sweet realization. And how special for you to have this special connection. :)

I'm sure having a cold for a while didn't help your demeanor. When I'm sick, I'm always OVER emotional. :) If it were me, I'd have bawled to the point that my daughter would look at me like I was crazy!

He is very cute, and well loved. I agree, stuffed animals are over-rated, but this one has a special place in your hearts. :)

Rachelle said...

I have to agree with you, Kate, I'm not a big stuffed animal fan, but Ashlyn loves them so much. I have never seen a kid become so attached to not just one but about 5 different stuffed animals. She has one everywhere we go. Tonight we went to Babies 'R' Us to get a gift for my nephew and Ashlyn attached to herself to a Pooh Bear that was on display. Since taking it away from her didn't seem to be an option, we came home with another stuffed animal. I have never seen anything bring her so much joy. She was still clinging to it when she went to bed a few hours ago.