Welcome dear friends and family

Hoping this brings us a bit closer.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's Madness I Tell You

Innocence? Ha! :)

It's madness - hitting, throwing, and fussing! Is it his two year molars? Is it the 'terrible twos'? Is it being a boy? If it's the molars, they haven't even broken through yet. If it's being two, there's still ten more months of that. If it's being a boy (sigh....), I will surely go 'mad'! ;)

When Elle was two she hit (actually it was more like tapped) me and I said 'no'. She tried it one more time and never did it again. I can't even keep count of how many times in a day Zane hits us or throws something.

We are die-hard consistent on addressing it every single time. He always gets his heart right, communicates his understanding that he can't hit and says sorry, but then one minute later.... We talk about what the Bible says, 'Love one another', 'Be kind to one another', and pray about it. Will consistency and truth finally pay out?? It's just exhausting. We can't get through a meal, play time, or preschool without assault and correction.

To our knowledge, he has never hit anyone in church nursery and his teachers always gush over his sweet spirit and fun personality. What's up with that?? I understand that mothers usually get the worse behavior and I'm relieved he's kind to others.

Recently he did throw the first punch at a much larger 2 1/2 year old boy. We were with friends, eating and watching the Chiefs and Broncos game (sad day for the Chiefs), when Zane hit me again and I removed him to the living room where he began a loud temper tantrum. The bigger toddler boy was tired of listening to Zane's noise, so he got up close, stuck his finger in Zane's face and said, 'STOP IT!' Zane charged him with both hands, straight to the boy's chest. Well that bigger boy didn't hesitate to knock Zane down on his rear.

"You talkin' to me?"

My little boy, I would surely go 'mad' if it weren't for your morning cuddles, French accented Mamá, adorable dimples, sweet spirit, tenacity and courage.

Things that keep us smiling are Zane's passion for spoons (all shapes and sizes), his love for books, play kitchen, food (especially graham crackers) and his persistence and creativity in communication.

Here's to the next minute, hour, day of whatever this phase is - may He give us abundant joy in it all!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Hang in there! You'll get through this and one of these days you'll be surprised and amazed at the character of Zane. Through all this he is learning important life lessons in grace, tenacity, and self-control.

Remind me of all this in a few years. Ha! :)

Steigenbergs said...

Poor, misunderstood little boy. ;) If only he could just get his way, then he might not hit. ;)

Stay the course, mom. He will turn around at some point. I agree that kids do so much worse with parents than with others. Not sure why that is, but sometimes it makes me want to send her away. ;)